Can you think of anything more romantic than an elopement in the woods? Nope, neither can I. Which is why I can’t wait to share this absolutely gorgeous styled shoot from Lad & Lass Photography, Bouwer Flowers & Hey Pioneer, and their team. And if you loved the boho forest goodness in our real wedding this morning, then you are going to luuuurve what we have in store. Macrame ceremony arch. Stylishly rustic tablescape. A boho lace dress, a groom in bold Marsala, fresh from the forest florals, a to-die-for chocolate naked cake… I could go on and on. But I think my absolute favourite is the bell tent set up (complete with whimsical floral entrance) for the bride and groom, to give their first night as Mr and Mrs that woodsy glamping feel. So… how much do we all want to have a forest elopement right now?
One of the things I love about editing SouthBound Bride is that I get to hear the most amazing love stories from couples, many of whom come from completely different places, and it’s like the world conspires to somehow, through a series of events, have them meet and fall in love (what tells you I’m a huge romantic, eh?). Jaydene and David are one of these couples, whose unlikely meeting happened thanks to David’s Mormon mission to South Africa, and progressed in the old fashioned way through heartfelt correspondence while Jaydene was on her mission. Together at last, they celebrated the second day of their wedding weekend with family and friends in the proudly South African surroundings of Harmonie Proteas, where Jaydene and her mother built a boho fantasy forest setting for their vows and reception, using some of the bride’s favourite things. And goodness, but Jaydene made a gorgeous bride in her custom lace sleeve gown, wow! With bridesmaids also in lace and flower crowns, the perfect rustic setting, and these pretty pics by Vicky Bergallo, it was a day to remember!
With a new year comes a fresh colour of the year to play with from the folks over at Pantone and while some years I’m not completely on board with their choice (cough cough Marsala), I am ALL about Greenery, the 2017 COY. It’s fresh, it’s bright, it’s organic, and it feels absolutely right for this brand new year. I can’t WAIT to see what all my favourite wedding pros come up with in styling this shade over the next few months, but in the meantime, I had a play around and came up with five palettes incorporating Greenery, as well as several of Pantone’s other Spring 2017 shades. The great thing about Greenery is that it combines into classic choices, but can also substitute for the greens in less obvious palettes with a really fresh effect. For example, we normally see blues combining with soft sage, but use Greenery and you have something pretty and new. The key thing is to use Greenery as an accent colour – a whole wedding in it might be overwhelming, but in clever touches (especially those using actual greenery), you’re winning. Which is your fave? Links in bold denote affiliate links. SBB may make a commission on any sales made.
I always feel like I’m opening a village fete at the start of the year, like I should be standing in front of this feature in a big hat and a Sunday dress, with a comically large pair of scissors. I declare this wedding season OPEN! Well, I do. It’s our first real wedding of the year, and I can’t think of a better way to begin than with this dramatic, drop dead gorgeous celebration from Roxanne Davison. Jessica and Brent were inspired by red roses, and art (specifically still life) and a touch of Baroque opulence in creating the design for their Midlands wedding, and wow, is it a showstopper! I love everything, from the fruit and flower-decked tables, to the bridesmaids in Spanish-style black lace, to the bride’s amazing Casey Jeanne gown. And I spy one of our favourite venues too, with some of the couple shoot taking place at the incredible Crystal Barn, part of the SBB Collection of venues. So much pretty in one place, beautifully captured by Roxanne. Let’s do this!
Time to kick off a new year of inspirational content! And I honestly can’t think of a prettier way to do that than with this styled shoot by the wonderful Courtney Leigh. It’s full of dreamy, dusky blues and touches of elegant gold, gorgeous organic florals and an extraordinarily beautiful two-piece gown by Alexandra Grecco. Jade Magnolia did an amazing job with the table, layering textures and using different shades of blue alongside Blush and Vine‘s lush flowers to really make it pop. Every detail is super swoony (just wait till you see the chocolate strawberries!), but as wonderful as all of it is, what makes this shoot beyond special and memorable is that it ended with a surprise proposal for the sweet models, Chalie and Andrew. The looks of love on their faces, especially during and after Andrew pops the question, just radiate happiness – no wonder capturing these moments is something Courtney describes as a highlight of her photography career. It also makes this the perfect way for us to launch January’s editorial theme: Just Engaged. Enjoy!
Let’s get this party started, shall we friends? Our editorial theme for January is ‘Just Engaged’ and we’ll be kicking off all of that loveliness later today, but first we just had to do our annual roundup of all the trends that are in store for you in 2017. I always feel like this is the best way to start my year – reflecting on the gorgeous trends from years before (many of which are still with us, happily, or have evolved into some of the ideas you’ll see here), and getting excited about the year of weddings to come. And as always, the best part of that is seeing how couples will make these trends their own, adding personal details, DIYs and twists that will set them apart and make them shine. So here are my Top 10 predictions – pick a fave or two that speak to you, and then make ’em yours.
I love Januaries. A new year, a new engagement season and best of all – new friends joining the SBB community. I’m so thrilled to welcome all the new brides and grooms to SouthBound Bride today, many of whom will have gotten engaged over Christmas and New Year. CONGRATULATIONS! You’re about to embark on the most exciting journey, and I’m so excited to go on it with you. I’m Gaby, editor of SBB, and I’m here to be your virtual bestie and honorary bridesmaid as you navigate the following months of wedding planning, offering inspiration, advice, and the occasional bad joke. Because while it can be stressful, this whole wedding thing should always be fun!
So… How do you make the most of your SouthBound experience?
First off, you’ll want to sign up to our newsletter. That way, you’ll never miss out on our gorgeous real weddings, styled shoots and trend roundups – and don’t worry, we only mail you once a week, so there’s no spamming of your inbox. Plus, there’s a special monthly edition packed full of useful stuff, so you don’t want to miss it. SIGN UP HERE
Next, you’ll want to follow us on social.
- Instagram is our favourite thing – we’re growing fast and we have some very exciting Insta-ideas for 2017!
- Our Pinterest boards are full of beautiful images both from the blog and from other sources, and an awesome tool for planning your wedding.
- Facebook is a great way to keep up to date with all our latest posts. (Top tip! If you like or comment on posts from time to time, you’ll be more likely to see our daily FB posts in your newsfeed!)
- Tweet tweet… Twitter is another great way to follow SBB. Everything we publish gets tweeted there as well.
- And don’t forget to check us out on Aisle Society – which is another AWESOME source of inspiration for you to follow the best blogs in the business (find out how to plan your wedding with Aisle Society here)
PLANNING! EEK! WHERE DO I START?
We get it. Planning a wedding can be overwhelming, but we’ve got you covered! Here’s a step by step guide with links to ALL our fab advice posts – be sure to bookmark this as you’ll want to come back!
- A SouthBound Guide to Engagement Ring-Speak
- How to Choose a Venue
- How to Choose a Venue: Downloadable Worksheet
- 10 Questions to Ask Before a Venue Visit
- How to Choose Your Bridesmaids
- How to Choose Your Wedding Style & Colours
- How to Create a Wedding Inspiration Board
- How to Write Your Guest List in 10 Simple Steps
- Planning an Engagement Party
- Planning Your Wedding with Pinterest
- 10 Reasons to Get Married in South Africa
- Budget Tips from SouthBound Brides
- Entrance Music
- DJ-recommended Wedding Songs
- How to Cut Your Guest List
- How to Pick the Perfect First Dance Song
- How to Plan for a Rainy Wedding Day
- Making the Most of Your Wedding Photos
- Ten Tips for Planning an Autumn Wedding
- Top Tips for DIY Brides
- Top Tips for Spring Engagement Shoots
- Top 10 Chic Eco-friendly Wedding Ideas
- Top 10 Tips for Planning an Intimate Wedding
- Unassigned Seating: Is it Right for You?
- Wedding Invitations & Stationery Timeline
- Why Have a Smaller Wedding?
- Why Have a Winelands Wedding?
Grooms & Groomsmen
Fashion & Beauty
- A SouthBound Guide to Veil-speak
- Bridal Beauty Timeline
- How to Choose a Wedding Hair & Makeup Artist
- How to Find a Maternity Wedding Dress
- How to Style Your Engagement Shoot
- How to Wear Statement Bridal Jewellery
- Rocking Your Hair & Makeup Trial
- Wedding Dresses for Your Body Type: Column
- Wedding Dresses for Your Body Type: Neat Hourglass
- Wedding Dresses for Your Body Type: Pear
- Wedding Dresses for Your Body Type: Strawberry
- A SouthBound Guide to Bouquet Types
- A SouthBound Guide to Flower Meanings
- Flowers in Season: Autumn
- Flowers in Season: Spring
- Flowers in Season: Winter
Cakes & Catering
- A SouthBound Guide to Wedding Cake Terminology
- How to: Cheese Wheel Wedding Cakes
- Vegetarian Wedding Menus
Showers, hens & bachelorettes
- Bridal Showers & Hen Nights: Who Pays?
- How to Plan the Perfect Bridal Shower (with Printable Timeline)
- The Hen Commandments
- Changing Your Surname?
- Charity Wedding Favours
- Five Ways to Cultivate Real Love Every Day
- The Newlywed Shoe Game
- Top Tips for Boudoir Photo Sessions
- Wedding Day Remembrances
BUT WHERE DO I FIND THESE AWESOME VENDORS?
Introducing our brides to the incredible South African wedding pros is our passion and privilege. You can find our favourites in the SBB Directory, and the SBB Venue Collection, and be sure to check out the supplier list at the end of all our real weddings and styled shoots for more talented folks.
Any questions? Drop us a mail. We look forward to helping you plan your big day!
Before we end our Best of 2016 series, I wanted to look past the details (much as we love them) – the pretty dresses and delicious cakes and fabulous decor and spectacular bouquets – to the heart of what we do here on SBB, the heart of weddings, the moments. Even though we don’t know most of the brides and grooms whose weddings we feature, that’s one of the joys of a great photographer, that they capture these slices of emotion that are real and true, even if you don’t know the story or the person behind them. There have been so many times we’ve smiled or shed a tear over the year through these images and stories, and at the end of the day, that’s what makes this so much more than fashion or decor or style. It’s the love. It’s sharing the love. And it’s always a privilege. Here are twenty of those moments, and they’re also the perfect way to finish off our 2016 content. So here’s wishing you all a very happy new year – and we’ll see you back here in 2017!
Ah, one of my favourite posts of the year! Wedding dresses are one of the elements I adore about the real weddings we feature, and we’ve seen so many absolutely GORGEOUS dresses over the years, each with a story of how they came to be ‘the one’. This year has been no exception, and while we’ve seen a return to more traditional white gowns in general, it’s been all about the details – low backs and plunging necklines, soft tulle skirts, lace sleeves and backs, extraordinary fabrics and elegant silhouettes. It’s so hard to pick just twenty favourites, but in the end, this is the group of beauties we settled on. Dress swoon!
Hello lovelies! Hope you had a wonderful Christmas break, and are enjoying some much needed off-time until the new year! We’re continuing with our Best of 2016 series today by counting down twenty of our favourite details and ideas from real weddings throughout the year. Each of them is sweet and stealable, so take a look and be inspired!