Over the last year or so I’ve been noticing quite a few brides and grooms playing this fun little game at their reception, including Oded and Sarah, whose wedding we featured last week. The shoe game works a little like the Newlywed Game on TV, but with shoes (and anything with shoes is good, right?). But how does it work and what are the best newlywed shoe game questions? Read on! *This post includes affiliate links.
How to Play the Shoe Game
How it works is that the bride and groom are set up on chairs with their backs towards one another – try and place yourselves so that the most guests can see you and enjoy the fun. They take off their shoes and exchange one of them (so each has one of the bride’s shoes and one of the groom’s shoes). Then someone – the MC, a member of the bridal party or a family member usually – asks a series of questions where the answer can be either the bride or the groom. For example: “Who wears the pants in the relationship?” or “Who is the better driver?” The couple each raise one of the shoes to represent themselves or their partner, often with hilarious results.
Encourage guests to get involved, shouting out answers or offering suggestions. I’ve heard of occasions where the guests have been asked to provide suggestions for the questions themselves, which is a cute idea – make sure someone is in charge of gathering the suggestions together and filtering through them for the best ones (and getting rid of the inappropriate ones!). Otherwise, here’s a list of fifty suggestions for shoe game questions… pick no more than about twenty, to keep the game moving along. It should last about 5-10 minutes at most. Keep it light-hearted and do try to customise the questions to suit the couple.
- Who is more romantic?
- Who is hotter?
- Who made the first move?
- Who said ‘I love you’ first?
- Who says ‘I love you’ most often?
- Who says ‘I’m sorry’ first after an argument?
- Who was the bigger geek at school?
- Who is smarter?
- Who is more creative?
- Who is the better driver?
- Who is better at keeping secrets?
- Who is more likely to give the other food poisoning?
- Who is more spontaneous?
- Who is the bigger flirt?
- Who wears the pants in the relationship?
- Who is more likely to drop their phone in a toilet?
- Who is more likely to get injured?
- Who looks better in glasses?
- Who is more likely to be running late?
- Who is a better dresser?
- Who spends more money?
- Who’ll be in control of the TV remote?
- Who is more likely to deal with a spider in the bath?
- Who is more likely to get lost?
- Who is more likely to ask for directions?
- Who is messier?
- Who has the smelliest feet?
- Who spends the most amount of time in front of the mirror?
- Who has the craziest family?
- Who is the better kisser?
- Who gives better birthday presents?
- Who has a better sense of style?
- Who talks more?
- Who is more likely to use all the hot water?
- Who is more likely to wake up with a hangover?
- Who snores the loudest?
- Who has better general knowledge?
- Who is a bigger baby when they have a cold?
- Who has the better taste in music?
- Who is always right?
- Who is funnier?
- Who is a better dancer?
- Who is the most organised?
- Who is less likely to reach for their wallet?
- Who is more stubborn?
- Who did more of the wedding planning?
- Who owns the most pairs of jeans/shoes/sunglasses etc.?
- Who spends more time on Facebook?
- If both of you were trapped on a desert island, who would be more likely to eat the other one to stay alive?
Finally, ask: “Who do you love most in the world?” That’s sure to get an ‘Aaaaah!’
More wedding planning posts you may enjoy:
- Wedding Planning: Where to Start
- How to Choose a Venue
- How to Pick the Perfect First Dance Song
- How to Choose Your Wedding Style & Colours
- How to Plan Your Wedding Using Aisle Society
Find more wedding planning advice on Pinterest: