You guys, SouthBound Bride is six years old – can you believe that? So much has changed and grown since I published that first little post, and yet in some ways it feels like the time has flown by. This year, things are even more crazy than ever, what with exciting developments like Aisle Society and the SBB Collection, and when I reflect on the successes and lessons of the last six years, one thing always amazes me – just how much I have learned. That’s great for me, but I’m a huge believer in not just learning for yourself, but in developing others – “each one teach one” as Miranda Bailey would put it. Part of being a #girlboss is in giving others opportunities and sharing your knowledge and experience, and also in being open to the fresh ideas and perspective and lessons that working with others brings. It’s been on my heart for a long time now to do something about that, and at some point in all that thinking, the idea for a SouthBound internship program was born.
We’ve hired interns in the past, which was a seriously awesome experience, but this is something a little different. Think of it as a little mini course in blogging – a chance to dip your toes into the behind-the-scenes of an established publication. It’s open to anyone but might be especially suited to communications/journalism/wedding planning students or graduates. Over eight weeks, you’ll learn the basics or develop your existing skills in WordPress, social media, writing, SEO, affiliate and web marketing. You’ll have the chance to get to grips with both the South African and international wedding media landscape, to get an insight into what goes into the creation and curation of strong content, to work one-on-one with me, and to get hands-on experience in different areas of the business. And, while there’s a structure to the things you’ll learn and the tasks you’ll undertake, it will also be what you make of it! The more dynamic and enthusiastic you are, the more you will benefit.
Candidates should be:
- Motivated, curious, can-do self starters with strong time management and organisational skills and an eye for detail.
- Confident communicators – especially in written form.
- Lovers of all things wedding! Whether you’re a bride-to-be/newlywed, someone with industry experience, or just love everything about weddings, you’ll need to be passionate about our subject!
- Social media savvy – you should at the very least be a regular user of Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram, and a regular blog reader (wedding blogs or other).
- Able to work virtually (with a reliable Wifi connection) and commit 3-5 hours per week to SBB (flexible times) for eight weeks.
Bonus points if you have some familiarity with blogging platforms, graphic design software and photography.
This is an unpaid position, and is open to candidates anywhere in the world, although preference will be given to those with a particular interest in the South African wedding or digital media industries. The position is virtual, so meetings will be conducted on Skype – unless you’re in Durban, in which case the coffee’s on me!
Ready to do this? You can find the APPLICATION FORM HERE.