Time to kick off a new year of inspirational content! And I honestly can’t think of a prettier way to do that than with this styled shoot by the wonderful Courtney Leigh. It’s full of dreamy, dusky blues and touches of elegant gold, gorgeous organic florals and an extraordinarily beautiful two-piece gown by Alexandra Grecco. Jade Magnolia did an amazing job with the table, layering textures and using different shades of blue alongside Blush and Vine‘s lush flowers to really make it pop. Every detail is super swoony (just wait till you see the chocolate strawberries!), but as wonderful as all of it is, what makes this shoot beyond special and memorable is that it ended with a surprise proposal for the sweet models, Chalie and Andrew. The looks of love on their faces, especially during and after Andrew pops the question, just radiate happiness – no wonder capturing these moments is something Courtney describes as a highlight of her photography career. It also makes this the perfect way for us to launch January’s editorial theme: Just Engaged. Enjoy!
Let’s get this party started, shall we friends? Our editorial theme for January is ‘Just Engaged’ and we’ll be kicking off all of that loveliness later today, but first we just had to do our annual roundup of all the trends that are in store for you in 2017. I always feel like this is the best way to start my year – reflecting on the gorgeous trends from years before (many of which are still with us, happily, or have evolved into some of the ideas you’ll see here), and getting excited about the year of weddings to come. And as always, the best part of that is seeing how couples will make these trends their own, adding personal details, DIYs and twists that will set them apart and make them shine. So here are my Top 10 predictions – pick a fave or two that speak to you, and then make ’em yours.
I love Januaries. A new year, a new engagement season and best of all – new friends joining the SBB community. I’m so thrilled to welcome all the new brides and grooms to SouthBound Bride today, many of whom will have gotten engaged over Christmas and New Year. CONGRATULATIONS! You’re about to embark on the most exciting journey, and I’m so excited to go on it with you. I’m Gaby, editor of SBB, and I’m here to be your virtual bestie and honorary bridesmaid as you navigate the following months of wedding planning, offering inspiration, advice, and the occasional bad joke. Because while it can be stressful, this whole wedding thing should always be fun!
So… How do you make the most of your SouthBound experience?
First off, you’ll want to sign up to our newsletter. That way, you’ll never miss out on our gorgeous real weddings, styled shoots and trend roundups – and don’t worry, we only mail you once a week, so there’s no spamming of your inbox. Plus, there’s a special monthly edition packed full of useful stuff, so you don’t want to miss it. SIGN UP HERE
Next, you’ll want to follow us on social.
- Instagram is our favourite thing – we’re growing fast and we have some very exciting Insta-ideas for 2017!
- Our Pinterest boards are full of beautiful images both from the blog and from other sources, and an awesome tool for planning your wedding.
- Facebook is a great way to keep up to date with all our latest posts. (Top tip! If you like or comment on posts from time to time, you’ll be more likely to see our daily FB posts in your newsfeed!)
- Tweet tweet… Twitter is another great way to follow SBB. Everything we publish gets tweeted there as well.
- And don’t forget to check us out on Aisle Society – which is another AWESOME source of inspiration for you to follow the best blogs in the business (find out how to plan your wedding with Aisle Society here)
PLANNING! EEK! WHERE DO I START?
We get it. Planning a wedding can be overwhelming, but we’ve got you covered! Here’s a step by step guide with links to ALL our fab advice posts – be sure to bookmark this as you’ll want to come back!
- A SouthBound Guide to Engagement Ring-Speak
- How to Choose a Venue
- How to Choose a Venue: Downloadable Worksheet
- 10 Questions to Ask Before a Venue Visit
- How to Choose Your Bridesmaids
- How to Choose Your Wedding Style & Colours
- How to Create a Wedding Inspiration Board
- How to Write Your Guest List in 10 Simple Steps
- Planning an Engagement Party
- Planning Your Wedding with Pinterest
- 10 Reasons to Get Married in South Africa
- Budget Tips from SouthBound Brides
- Entrance Music
- DJ-recommended Wedding Songs
- How to Cut Your Guest List
- How to Pick the Perfect First Dance Song
- How to Plan for a Rainy Wedding Day
- Making the Most of Your Wedding Photos
- Ten Tips for Planning an Autumn Wedding
- Top Tips for DIY Brides
- Top Tips for Spring Engagement Shoots
- Top 10 Chic Eco-friendly Wedding Ideas
- Top 10 Tips for Planning an Intimate Wedding
- Unassigned Seating: Is it Right for You?
- Wedding Invitations & Stationery Timeline
- Why Have a Smaller Wedding?
- Why Have a Winelands Wedding?
Grooms & Groomsmen
Fashion & Beauty
- A SouthBound Guide to Veil-speak
- Bridal Beauty Timeline
- How to Choose a Wedding Hair & Makeup Artist
- How to Find a Maternity Wedding Dress
- How to Style Your Engagement Shoot
- How to Wear Statement Bridal Jewellery
- Rocking Your Hair & Makeup Trial
- Wedding Dresses for Your Body Type: Column
- Wedding Dresses for Your Body Type: Neat Hourglass
- Wedding Dresses for Your Body Type: Pear
- Wedding Dresses for Your Body Type: Strawberry
- A SouthBound Guide to Bouquet Types
- A SouthBound Guide to Flower Meanings
- Flowers in Season: Autumn
- Flowers in Season: Spring
- Flowers in Season: Winter
Cakes & Catering
- A SouthBound Guide to Wedding Cake Terminology
- How to: Cheese Wheel Wedding Cakes
- Vegetarian Wedding Menus
Showers, hens & bachelorettes
- Bridal Showers & Hen Nights: Who Pays?
- How to Plan the Perfect Bridal Shower (with Printable Timeline)
- The Hen Commandments
- Changing Your Surname?
- Charity Wedding Favours
- Five Ways to Cultivate Real Love Every Day
- The Newlywed Shoe Game
- Top Tips for Boudoir Photo Sessions
- Wedding Day Remembrances
BUT WHERE DO I FIND THESE AWESOME VENDORS?
Introducing our brides to the incredible South African wedding pros is our passion and privilege. You can find our favourites in the SBB Directory, and the SBB Venue Collection, and be sure to check out the supplier list at the end of all our real weddings and styled shoots for more talented folks.
Any questions? Drop us a mail. We look forward to helping you plan your big day!
Before we end our Best of 2016 series, I wanted to look past the details (much as we love them) – the pretty dresses and delicious cakes and fabulous decor and spectacular bouquets – to the heart of what we do here on SBB, the heart of weddings, the moments. Even though we don’t know most of the brides and grooms whose weddings we feature, that’s one of the joys of a great photographer, that they capture these slices of emotion that are real and true, even if you don’t know the story or the person behind them. There have been so many times we’ve smiled or shed a tear over the year through these images and stories, and at the end of the day, that’s what makes this so much more than fashion or decor or style. It’s the love. It’s sharing the love. And it’s always a privilege. Here are twenty of those moments, and they’re also the perfect way to finish off our 2016 content. So here’s wishing you all a very happy new year – and we’ll see you back here in 2017!
Ah, one of my favourite posts of the year! Wedding dresses are one of the elements I adore about the real weddings we feature, and we’ve seen so many absolutely GORGEOUS dresses over the years, each with a story of how they came to be ‘the one’. This year has been no exception, and while we’ve seen a return to more traditional white gowns in general, it’s been all about the details – low backs and plunging necklines, soft tulle skirts, lace sleeves and backs, extraordinary fabrics and elegant silhouettes. It’s so hard to pick just twenty favourites, but in the end, this is the group of beauties we settled on. Dress swoon!
Hello lovelies! Hope you had a wonderful Christmas break, and are enjoying some much needed off-time until the new year! We’re continuing with our Best of 2016 series today by counting down twenty of our favourite details and ideas from real weddings throughout the year. Each of them is sweet and stealable, so take a look and be inspired!
Today we’re turning our attention to that most special time of a wedding day, the ceremony. I personally love it when a couple puts that extra attention and care into their ceremony style, because while it’s relatively short compared to the reception, the ceremony is where all the most important stuff happens, right? This year, each of these couples created something extra special – a dreamy, magical place where vows where exchanged and a new chapter was begun. And PS, if you’re looking for even more aisle style ideas, you can find them in our dedicated Pinterest board.
Bridesmaid gowns are one of my FAVE parts of weddings, you guys, and let me tell you, when I’m looking at submissions they always catch my eye. And catch my breath sometimes too, because some brides get this so, so right. Whether the look is uniform or mismatched, classic or fashion forward, and whether the colours of the bridesmaid dresses complement or reflect the wedding palette, a well dressed group of ladies always stands out, and they always make the bride look extra amazing (tell THAT to anyone who says your bridesmaids shouldn’t upstage you by looking good). This year we’ve seen such a range of looks, and I loved every one, but eventually managed to narrow them down to these twenty favourites. So get inspired, and then if you like them, get shopping – links in bold denote affiliate links; SBB may earn a commission on any sales made.
Oh, cakes! Gathering together the greatest confections from the year that was is one of my favourite parts of this series, because it always reminds me just how many incredible creations have breezed into SBB HQ over the last twelve months. This year I think we had even more than ever, because wow, narrowing them down was hard! We’ve had tiered cakes and metallic cakes and naked cakes and even a display of cupcakes made to look like succulents that was a breakout on social media. Some have come from real weddings, some from our beautiful styled shoots, but every one of them will inspire you – and if you want to see more amazing cakes, be sure to check out our Pinterest board!
It’s that time of year again, lovelies! For the next two weeks, along with some off-time for Christmas etc., we’ll be bringing you the best of the year’s weddings and styled shoots. I must say, compiling these is something I always look forward to, even though narrowing them down is SO HARD. And this year, we really have such a diverse crop of bouquets, in all different shapes and sizes and colours. What they all have in common is that they make a beautiful statement, and I hope that they inspire next year’s crop of brides to go the extra mile in choosing something special to carry down the aisle at their wedding. So here we go – in no particular order, our top 20 bouquets!